Continuing Education Requirements
Electrical Trainee card holders are required to complete 48 hours of Basic Trainee Classes prior to renewing their trainee card every two years.
Per WAC 296-46B-970 (4)(c)((ii)((D), all basic trainee courses must be classroom instruction only. No correspondence or internet classes are allowed.
Exams: All participants in basic trainee courses are required to complete and pass a 20-question exam with a minimum score of 75%. Students with a testing anxiety, learning disability or language barrier are encouraged to inform the instructor so that all efforts to ensure student success are made.
For additional questions on your Electrical Trainee license in Washington State, contact Labor & Industries Electrical Department at 360.902.5269 or online at www.lni.wa.gov.
Journey-level Electricians (Journeyman, Administrator’s and Master Electricians)
All Washington Electrical Journeyman, Electrical Administrator’s or Master Electricians must complete 24 hours of continuing education prior to license renewal every three years. Continuing education hours must include:
• 8 hours NEC Code Update
• 4 hours RCW/WAC Update
• 12 hours Industry Related*
* Electrical Journeyman, Electrical Administrator’s and Master Electricians can take any of the courses offered under the Electrical Trainee section of this catalog for Industry Related continuing education credit. Any course listed under the Electrical Trainee section of this catalog require all participants to complete and pass a 20-question exam with a minimum score of 75%.
For additional questions on your Electrical License in Washington State, contact Labor & Industries Electrical Department at 360.902.5269 or online at www.lni.wa.gov.
Plumber and Plumber Trainees
All Washington Journeyman or Residential plumbers must complete 24 hours of continuing education prior to license renewal (every 3 years). Continuing education hours must include:
• A minimum of 12 hours of Uniform Plumbing Code (Code), PLUS
• A minimum of 4 hours of Industry-Related Electrical (IRE).
• The remaining 8 hours can be in any Code, IRE, or Industry-Related Plumbing (IRP) area.
All Washington plumber trainees must complete 8 hours of continuing education prior to annual license renewal. Each year continuing education hours must include (required categories will alternate from one year to the next):
• 8 hours Plumbing Code
• 4 hours Industry Related Electrical
• 4 additional hours Plumbing Code, Industry Related Electrical or Industry Related Plumbing
Please note: CITC is unable to view private information concerning the hours reported on a Plumber Trainees previous license cycle. Courses that cannot be applied to your license because you had taken that credit type in the previous license cycle will not be transferred or refunded. If you are unsure of what you need to take, contact Labor & Industries Plumbing Department at 360.902.5207.
For additional questions on your Plumbing License in Washington State, contact Labor & Industries Plumbing Department at 360.902.5207 or online at www.lni.wa.gov.
Washington State Labor & Industries
CITC provides Continuing Education to meet the requirements of the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries. For information in renewing your license, or other licensing questions, please contact L&I directly for further information.
Washington State Department of Labor & Industries